Earlier today I wrote another list, a negative list, a list of things I do not like. I was having a bad day and needed to vent some annoyances but I feel much better now. I’m home and relaxing and I think I ought to end the day on a more positive note. So, I made another list. This time it’s some very specific thing that I like very much. Enjoy!
- Date nights with my girlfriend at The Alamo Drafthouse. They have these awesome packages that include the movie ticket, a meal, and drinks to go with the movie you are seeing. Plus they have a strict no talking policy!
- Drinking a cold beer while taking a hot shower after a long day at work. I don’t know what it is but a hot shower makes a cold beer (or hard cider) so much better. Try it!
- Eating a big bowl of vanilla ice cream. I hate all the fancy flavors, just give me plain old, tried and true, vanilla please.
- Words that describe very specific things, for example:
Qualtagh (n.): The first person one encounters, either after leaving one’s home or (sometimes) outside one’s home, especially on New Year’s Day.
- When my girlfriend tells me stories from her childhood. It’s nice to get a glimpse of who she was before she every met me, especially if the story is particularly funny or embarrassing.
- The feeling I get when I am with my family. It’s a weird mix of anxious and nervous but also relaxed and joyful. I wonder if there is a specific word for that sort of feeling?
- Watering all the house plants early on Saturday mornings. I like to get up before my girlfriend and do a few things around the house and write. The start of this process is watering the plants, which sets the mood and gives my brain time to think and my tea time to steep.
- Trying to imagine a new color. I know it an impossible thing to do but the exercise is one of those things that unlocks your brain and makes you think differently. Like asking if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
- Taco Tuesdays at the Mexican restaurant around the corner. Unlimited tacos and 1/2 off maragritas, what more could I want?
- Eating just one almond joy a day. I have this weird thing where I like to ration my sweets. I think it makes me appreciate the treat better. I buy the king size, which has four almond joys in it, and I enjoy just one a day. Mmmmmm!
- Spelling difficult words right on the first try. Definitely, experience, conscious, and weird are some of the ones I struggle with the most but on occasion I get them right and I mentally pat myself on the back for being so awesome. I never spell guarantee right though.
- Having one to many Mimosas at brunch. About once I month I do brunch with my girlfriend and drink just slightly too much. Afterwards we have a blast shopping at a near-by outdoor mall :)
- Those times when the colors of the sunset are so strong everything around you gets tinted orange. Whenever this happens I feel like I am witnessing some rare and incredible phenomenon. In reality it happens pretty regularly but it’s still beautiful to me every time it happens.
What do you think? Are there things you agree with? Disagree with? Are there some awesome things that make you happy that you’d like to share? If so let me know in the comments :)
In response to Daily Post’s Blogging U. course, Writing 101 assignment: Write a list
Featured image: Sunset In Denver