My name is Lisa, and I am very glad to meet you!
Here at Zen and Pi, I talk a lot about positivity, mindfulness, connection, and compassion. I also talk a lot about failure, suffering, depression, and injustice. Sometimes I even talk about math, science, and philosophy. I strive to understand who we all are by better understanding who I am. I hope to help you understand yourself too.
In everything I do and say I try to remember:
- We all have to take the time to examine our own views and values as well as the views and values of others. Keep what is useful and helpful, and discard whatever is outdated and holding us back. There is wisdom everywhere, but it is hidden behind ignorance. Question everything.
- We are all responsible what has gone wrong. From war, to climate destruction, to racism, misogony, xenophobia, homophobia, and transphobia. We are all biased, ignorant, and products of our upbringing and the media we consume. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but it is something to change.
- Nothing in life is black and white. There are as many ways of living, ways of growing, progressing, and suffering as there are humans in the world and as many opinions about what is right and wrong. Resist accepting simple explanations and solutions.
- It’s important we never lose our childlike curiosity. We should strive to learn and to improve our minds throughout our lives. I do not mean learning in strictly the academic sense. There are many ways to know things and many things we should explore about ourselves and our world.
- We all should remember to be grateful for all that we have and the privileges we enjoy that other people might not. Be kind and generous when you can and use your privilege to help others wherever you are.
- Practice radical self-care and acceptance, every day. Forgive yourself, see the good in yourself, and let yourself be happy. Learn to treat yourself the way you would someone you love. Encourage others to do the same.
- Each of us is only human and to hold ourselves to impossible standards and ideals is cruel. We don’t know everything. We mess up. We hurt one another. We hurt ourselves. It’s all part of life and it’s all normal.
- We should all tell our stories and our truths. Life is hard, and we should not go through it ashamed, fearful, or alone. All that is in me is normal and all of it is in you too. Never lie to yourself and never hide any part of yourself from others.
- We should all do our best to live happy, fulfilling, and comfortable lives and let others do the same. Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and life-long dignity is what we should be striving for for everyone whether they are our countrymen or not, share our religeon or not, think, speak, or look the way do or not.
I’m here to get people thinking about why the world works the way it does and to remind them that it doesn’t have to work that way at all. We can make changes in our personal lives, and we can make global changes too.
If you agree with that then I am very pleased you have found me.
I started this blog because I was anxious, depressed, and lost. I was confused, and I was afraid, and I still am. I think we all are.
I started this blog because I wanted to try to make things better in my life and I wanted to share and document that. I wanted to look at my existence and my humanness in a different way. I wanted to find productive ways to explore feelings like anger, and frustration without stifling them. I wanted to meet others like myself, or maybe different from myself, and talk about what it all means.
Zen and Pi means being present in your life even the boring, mundane, mindless parts, and also keeping one eye on the world outside of yourself.
Zen and Pi means having a healthy interest in what we have learned about the universe, how it works, and how we got here.
Zen and Pi means having a healthy interest in who you are inside. It’s about what is real, ugly, beautiful, and possible in you and being yourself, not matter how confused, awkward or scared you might be.
Zen and Pi is about me, and about you, and about everyone who came before us and those who may come after.
Zen and Pi is all of that and nothing at all.
If that sounds like something you are interested in please, take a look around and read a few posts. If you like what you see make sure to follow and share the journey is better together.
Don’t forget to introduce yourself and let me know what you think by either leaving a comment or contacting me.
And for updates, items that inspire me, and my thoughts on life, love, and inevitable humsn suffering subscribe to my newsletter too!
Featured image via Unsplash