Hello there. My name is Lisa and I am very glad to meet you.
Here at Zen and Pi, I write a lot about positivity, mindfulness, connection, and compassion. I also talk a lot about failure, anger, suffering, and cruelty. Sometimes I even talk about math, and science, and philosophy. I strive to understand who we all are by better understanding who I am. I try to better understand what we can be some day by facing the ugly facts of what are now. I hope to help you face and understand too.
In everything I do and say I try to remember:
- We all have to take the time to examine our own views and values as well as the views and values of others. Keep what is useful and helpful, and discard whatever is outdated and holding us back. There is wisdom everywhere, but it is hidden behind ignorance. Question everything.
- We are all responsible for what has gone wrong. From war, to climate destruction, to racism, misogyny, xenophobia, homophobia, and transphobia. We are all biased and ignorant. We all engage in Us vs. Them grouping and generalizing. We are all products of the human evolutionary story, of our upbringing, and of the media we consume. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but it is something to change.
- Nothing in life is black and white. There are as many ways of living, ways of growing, progressing, and suffering as there are humans in the world and as many opinions about what is right and wrong. Resist accepting simple explanations and solutions.
- It’s important we never lose our childlike curiosity. We should strive to learn and to improve our minds throughout our lives. I do not mean learning in strictly the academic sense. There are many ways to know things and many things we should explore about ourselves and our world.
- We all should remember to be grateful for all that we have and the privileges we enjoy that other people might not. Be kind and generous when you can and use your privilege to help others wherever you are.
- Practice radical self-care and acceptance, every day. Forgive yourself, see the good in yourself, and let yourself be happy. Learn to treat yourself the way you would someone you love. Encourage others to do the same.
- Each of us is only human and to hold ourselves to impossible standards and ideals is cruel. We don’t know everything. We mess up. We hurt one another. We hurt ourselves. It’s all part of life. It is all normal, and even when it is not right is all on some level understandable.
- Human beings are shaped by other human beings. You were not born a blank slate nor where you born a fully formed personality. No matter how much we wish it weren’t so, we are made, and are still being made all the time, by the events, experiences, and interactions of our lives. In turn, we make other people too, our children, our parents, our spouses, our coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This is where our power lies.
- We should all tell our stories and our truths. Life is hard, and we should not go through it ashamed, fearful, or alone. All that is in me is normal and all of it is in you too. Never lie to yourself and never hide any part of yourself from others.
- We should all do our best to live happy, fulfilling, and comfortable lives and let others do the same. Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and life-long dignity for everyone is what we should be striving for. It doesn’t matter, or should not matter, whether they are our countrymen or not, share our religious beliefs or not, think, speak, or look the way do or not.
I’m here to get people thinking about why the world works the way it does and to remind them that it doesn’t have to work that way at all, if we don’t want it too. We can make changes in our personal lives, and, if we can come together and agree, we can make global changes too. And if we can’t, I suppose the best we can do is change the way we (the individual) perceives, thinks, and acts in the world.
If you agree with that, then I am very pleased you have found me.
I started this blog because I was anxious, depressed, and lost. I was confused, and I was afraid, and I still am. I think we all are.
I started this blog because I wanted to try to make things better in my life and I wanted to share and document that. I wanted to face my existence and my humanness. I wanted to find productive ways to explore my feelings without stifling them. I wanted to meet others like myself, or maybe different from myself, and talk about what it all means.
Zen is a school of Buddhism that emphasizes meditation and mindfulness with the aim of achieving enlightenment. Pi is an irrational and infinite mathematical constant representing the ratio between a circle’s circumference and its diameter. Both of these concepts and have meant something to me at one time or another. Pi represents the perfect reality outside of human experience and Zen represents a kind of perfection within the human world, both in my opinion, are impossible for humans to comprehend or touch. We do not exist in the realm of perfect things.
We exist in the chaos between.
I want to embrace that chaos.
If that sounds like something you’re interested in too, please, take a look around and read a few posts. If you like what you see make sure to follow and share. The journey is better together.
Don’t forget to introduce yourself and let me know what you think by either leaving a comment or contacting me.
And for updates, items that inspire me, and my thoughts on life, love, and inevitable human suffering subscribe to my newsletter too!